Sunday, October 08, 2006

Project Vote Smart

With the upcoming election I wanted to place a plug in for my favorite election website: Project Vote Smart. The website is run by an organization whose goal is to provide voters with accurate information about politicians and their views on a variety of political issues. (Daunting task, to be sure). The website contains a bunch of information like short biographies, campaign finance information, ratings from interest groups, and this little thing they call the NPAT.

The NPAT is the crown jewel of Vote Smart's information arsenal and seems to be generally feared by politicians (at least based on their participation). The National Political Awareness Test is less a test and more a survey that Vote Smart asks running candidates to complete to evaluate their stance on issues that Vote Smart has determined are of interest to voters. That's right, the NPAT is a long list of questions that require a politician to voice an opinion on an issue. No hemming, hedging, weaseling, or generally obfuscating their stance through verbal trickery. Just answer the question. To give you an example, here is the first question from the abortion section:

Indicate which principles you support (if any) regarding abortion.

a) Abortions should always be illegal.
b) Abortions should always be legal.
c) Abortions should be legal only within the first trimester of pregnancy.
d) Abortions should be legal when the pregnancy resulted from incest or rape.
e) Abortions should be legal when the life of the woman is endangered.
f) Prohibit public funding of abortions and to organizations that advocate or perform abortions.
g) Require clinics to give parental notification before performing abortions on minors.
h) Abortion clinics should be required to submit more detailed information on late-term abortions to state health officials.

There is also an "open response" area associated with each question which, in past elections, I have seen used by politicians as another PR avenue but I'm sure is more intended to allow a candidate to add any clarifying remarks. If I remember right, in a previous election I saw the one of the candidates answer none of the questions and then use the open response area to tell of all the wonderful things he or she did in the past that were at least mildly related to the issue. I was not impressed.

As you might guess, participation on this survey is not the greatest. I remember during the 2004 elections that neither Bush nor Kerry filled out the NPAT. Looking over the ballot for my area, I can see that neither of the two leading candidates in our gubernatorial race (I've always wanted to use that word) filled out the NPAT. Granted, they may be too busy to fill this silly thing out but, well, I know I'm not the only one that could use straight-forward answers on some of these issues.

The only weapon we the voters have in attempting to get politicians to fill out the NPAT is shame. I'm going to be emailing all the relevant candidates who haven't yet filled out the NPAT and letting them know I would REALLY appreciate them providing this information and that the NPAT is a key tool in how I make voting decisions. Vote Smart spends most of their time trying to coerce candidates to filling it out and by lobbying other organizations, people, and groups, to get the candidate to fill it out. As a candidate continues to refuse to fill out the NPAT, Vote Smart keeps a running (and public) tally on the variety of avenues they thus far employed. Check out the big red text at the top of the incumbent governor of Kansas Kathleen Sebelius showing just how uncooperative she has been.

So there's my plug. I encourage you to use the website and give your candidates some grief if they haven't completed the NPAT. In my mind, Project Vote Smart is attempting to put politics back in the hands of voters by providing clear information about those we face on the ballot each election. I'm a fan and I'm eager to convert others to the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment