Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Academic Christmas

Well, its been a week since my third semester at Wichita State ended; just one more to go until I'm done with my Master's. I took all my tests two weeks ago (the week before finals) and had a final presentation the last day of finals week. Unlike last semester, our presentation went nearly exactly as planned and the presentations by my classmates were also much better than in previous semesters.

My final semester will be different than the past three. I'm only taking one class and the other six hours will be thesis. I've already unofficially started on it this past fall and have made a good start, getting a lot of the time-eating logistics and co-ordination with other people worked through. Now I just have to, you know, do my part. Developing some software, doing some experiments, lots of writing, that kind of thing.

In addition to my official school-work this spring semester I also got a job with my thesis advisor as a research assistant. We haven't nailed down what specific project I'll be working on but it'll be 20 hours a week and it looks like it will continue into the summer as well. This is essentially the work/school balance I had when employed at Cessna, just without the commute time. I'm excited about getting a chance to see what the research world is like and hopefully get some ideas for further research I could be involved with.

So, yeah, after talking with my wife we've decided I should go on to do my PhD and unless something crazy happens it will be at Wichita State. I've done a lot of reading over the Christmas break from other graduate students who have written about their experiences on the Web and it is echoing what I hear from grad students I know personally: having a good advisor is gold and I have a fantastic advisor. I know the department well, am interested in what my advisor is working on and have enjoyed my classes so far.

One of the best articles I've read recently had some very good advice: write down and define very specifically what you will and won't do for a PhD. Katie read the article too and she is a big fan of this idea, defining a line that will set expectations for the next several years of school. I'll have to think through this before I put pen to paper but the exercise will be invaluable. Part of the appeal of Wichita State is that, given our state in life and circumstances, it is a program that I can manage. If I was ten years younger, without family, and able to move anywhere in the world, the situation might be different. That's not where I am now, though, and so single-minded devotion to a PhD is not an option; I know that I'm not willing to give all my life now for the degree.

There are many great things about this Christmas but having a path for the next few years nailed down (Lord willing) is the best Christmas gift.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Trevor. The commitment needed to really make a difference in a life is more than most of us are willing to give.

    ReplyDelete