Friday, February 03, 2012

Minority


I found out today that I was turned down from a program at North Carolina State designed to help aspiring faculty get a better handle on their career path.  The program is mostly geared towards "under represented" (I think this is the new term for "minority") graduate students and being a white male, as always, my application was kindly rejected.


The irony is that a quick survey of the faculty in the electrical engineering departments of most universities would show that most faculty are not white males; south-central and east Asians rule these programs. In every graduate course I've taken I have been the minority.  I would say that in most cases I am out-numbered 50 to 1.  Its not unusual for their to be more Asian women in these classes than white men.  


And don't even get me started about all the scholarships for women when women out-number men on virtually all US campuses and have for several decades.  These programs seeking to correct injustices and imbalances in higher education appear to have accomplished their goal yet continue to exist, pushing the balance past the point of equity.  I hear of opportunities all the time for women in engineering; where are the special promotional opportunities for men in fields traditionally dominated by women?  Do you know of any scholarships for men seeking to be nurses or elementary school teachers?  I don't.  


There may be a day when our culture decides to value men but I don't think that day is coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment