Sunday, July 08, 2012

Home Power System - Hardware Build - Part 2

Here's the latest developments in the home power system monitor:




The black rails down the side are the connectors for the current sensor connector modules. Yes, that makes it a connector for a connector. This is what happens when you buy connectors that you can't solder directly to the board. I've also decided to provide connectors for (and thus modulize) the analog mux I'm going to be using to read all these signals into a signal ADC port on the Arduino, the Arduino itself, and the radio I'll be using to send the information on to a computer for reporting.

The two sockets towards the top are the amplification modules for the current sensors. Each socket will hold two MCP6002 op-amp DIPs giving me a total of four channels per socket. I would have used the correct sized socket (one DIP per socket) but I forgot to order more and my supply here at home is almost gone.

I've completed four channels so far with four more to go before I get done creating channels for all of the circuits in my house that use both sides of the split-phase wiring. This makes eight current sensor channels to read four appliances here at home: mains, air-conditioner, oven, and clothes dryer. For now I'm only going to add three more channels (for a nice, even 11 channels total): refrigerator, entertainment center, and downstairs utilities like a chest freezer and clothes washer. Assuming this all works fine, I have room for three more channels in my current design.

No comments:

Post a Comment