Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Everything's Broken

I found out our furnace had a problem after the weather did thus to us:


Almost a 30 'F drop in three hours.  When we went to bed Thursday night it was 73 'F and when I went to school the next morning it was 43 'F.  I spent Saturday trying to get the pilot light lit with no luck; a repair man is coming by tomorrow.

Also, about two weeks ago I got the following message from Apple regarding my computer:

Apple has determined that certain Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011. Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) will replace affected hard drives free of charge.

Apple is contacting affected iMac owners who provided a valid email address during the product registration process to let them know about this program. If you have not been contacted, but think you have a 1TB Seagate hard drive, you can enter your serial number below to see if it's part of this program.

My serial number was in the selected range and, to confirm this, my hard drive failed last night.  I tried using Apple's built in disk utility but it was not able to repair the drive so I'm without a computer until I can get it taken in to the local "Apple Authorized Service Provider".  My overkill backup scheme is paying off right now as I've lost virtually no data; at most a day's worth of podcasts. Maybe by the end of the week I'll have a working furnace and computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment