Monday, September 23, 2013

The End of the Motorcycle

If all goes according to plan, I will be having surgery in one week (September 30th) to stabilize/repair my right heel bone.  My foot was injured when I was struck by a car while riding to school on the morning of September 11th.  Thankfully, all the protective gear I was wearing prevented any other injuries, despite the fact that I was thrown from my motorcycle and bumped my head when I landed.  I can't express how grateful I am that I was not injured more seriously.

Unfortunately, the path to recovery will be long.  Under doctor's orders, I have been living with my foot suspended above my heart since the accident to help the swelling in my foot to go down. (This is the reason for the late post; I'm typing this all very slowly on the iPad which I find tedious.  Don't expect a lot more out of me until I'm able to use a traditional keyboard.) After the surgery, it will be several more weeks of the same. Once I am permitted to begin living in the traditional, vertical orientation, I will be in physical therapy for several months and won't be putting any weight on the foot until well into the new year. No driving, no walking, and only getting around on crutches.

I don't know the state of my motorcycle as I left the scene in an ambulance but given its age, I suspect the insurance company will declare it totaled; there's a good chance it will never ride again.  It was a good bike and I am sad to see it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment