Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Heel Healing

I was in to visit the doctor yesterday to take a look at my heel and was given great news!  The bone and incision wound are healing wonderfully and I've been given the go ahead to move on to the next phase:

  • I start five weeks of physical therapy today.  I have no idea what is in store except that it will probably be painful.
  • I can sleep at night without my walking cast.
  • I may be able to stop taking the drug I've been using to prevent nerve pain.  We might try going off of that as soon as this weekend.
  • I can try walking!  TRY walking. I've made it a matter of practice to hobble around the house using one crutch as a cane.  It is very slow going, painful, and what I can only imagine is an essential part of my rehabilitation.
My wife and I are discussing what other lifestyle changes could be made as well.  I probably don't need to spend most of my waking hours in bedrest any more so maybe meals can move back to the dining room (instead of in the living room where my bedrest couch is).  Once I'm off the insomnia-inducing neurological drug I should be able to get back to a regular sleep schedule and move back into our bedroom with my wife.  Also, assuming all goes well, I should be able to start next semester as planned though there are still questions about transportation as I no longer have a motorcycle and my bicycle riding ability is greatly diminished. (We did pick up a stationary bike that I plan on using to "train" starting sometime soon.)

Even though the endless bedrest made it seem like I was making little progress, it turns out my body is healing after all.  Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment