Monday, June 16, 2014

Ain't No Amazon

We've needed to replace our stall shower door handle since we bought this house.  It has been broken and corroded; barely functional and not pretty. Katie found a replacement at HomeDepot.com and to get free shipping we ordered a few other items were planning on picking up from one of there brick and mortar locations.  The order was placed with an expected delivery date on the upcoming Friday.  Not Amazon Prime but plenty fast enough.

The first sign of trouble came when I noticed the credit card transactions related to this purchase: five charges, one for each item.

When a package showed up Thursday I was impressed.  That is until I lifted it off the porch and realized that it did not contain my order, at least not all of it.  Inside that toaster-oven-sized box was one of the five items I had ordered: five fuses.  These fuses could have been sent in a padded envelope but they were instead bubble wrapped to fill the much-too-large box and shipped out to me.

Friday three boxes arrived and today, Monday, the final box showed up.  Five items, five boxes, five shipping charges that I didn't have to pay.  There is no way they made money on this transaction unless they have incredibly favorable shipping arrangements. My guess is that until they get their logistics more stream-lined, they are going to be losing money for quite a while with their online transactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment