Thursday, July 07, 2016

Backyard Landscaping - Bermuda Grass Barrier Installed

Finished last night:


Bermuda grass, the type of grass that pretty much covers our back yard because it does so well in the hot and dry climate we have here, had begun to chip away at the edges of our basketball court before this renovation. The asphalt was thin enough and the gras strong enough that it was actually growing underneath and then breaking through and apart the asphalt.

To help prevent that, I've installed a five-inch plastic barrier around the edge of what we retained of the court. I don't know how effective it will be but it was inexpensive and didn't take much labor to put into place. What you see above is my use of bricks to hold it flush to the asphalt; I'm hoping the sun will help relax the plastic from its rolled-up state into something straighter and I'll be using some tar-ish roofing adhesive/sealant along the top edge to help to stick to the asphalt.

At the two corners I've installed two notched PVC pipes to protect both the asphalt and help provide a stronger connection point for the barrier. Again, the roofing adhesive will be applied liberally to help secure the entire thing.

Again, I don't have high expectations but I wanted to try something to keep the Bermuda at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment