Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Great Car Exchange

This past Labor Day weekend I helped do a favor for my uncle living in Oregon by driving the car his son has in Kansas City half-way to Oregon and there, meeting with another party, switching cars and driving the replacement back to Kansas City. Actually, its a bit more complicated than that but that's the gist of it. My cousin had a rear-wheel drive Volvo and the weather in Kansas City can be such that rear-wheel drive is a bit dangerous. My uncle had a front-wheel drive Volvo he wanted to get to his son and recruited Katie and I to help make the car exchange happen. As it turns out, my uncle also recruited his brother (my father) to do the western leg of the drive so I also got to spend half a day with my parents in Evanston, Wyoming where we made the switch. Two thousand miles of driving, three days, several bottles of root beer. Good times.

One of the great things about the drive was getting to see a bunch of wind farms near the interstate. I'll put a few pictures up here but there are more on my Flickr stream. (I must admit, though, that once you've seen one wind turbine you've kind of seen them all. At least when you're driving by at 75 mph. Up close its a different story.)


Passing through Concordia, KS we saw this carved mural on the side of the tourist information/museum. I don't know how it was done or have ever seen anything like it.


Last but not least, in honor of a dear little girl I know who loves a DVD titled "I Dig Dirt", we saw one of the machines featured in said DVD. The photo is not near as impressive as seeing it action, even if just while driving by.

No comments:

Post a Comment