Monday, May 19, 2014

Lorenz in Living Color: Part 6 - Testing the Combined Code

I've finally been able to integrate the two halves of my code: (differential equation solver and the LED light updater) and I'm happy to say that it works! Despite my initial testing with Processing to figure out an aesthetically pleasing choice of colors and timing, I needed to adjust some of these values once I was testing on actual hardware.  In particular, I messed around with the differential equation solver step-size (how far into the future it tries to predict the next state of the system) and added a delay in the main processing loop so that the lights didn't run along their path at a highly frantic rate. I also ended up adding in a general dimming factor, allowing me to make the whole string less bright.  At dimmer levels the saturation of the colors also improve.

I left the system running for 18 hours or so and it never stabilized into a steady-state (running only in the same lobe of the attractor); this is a good thing.  I suspect that this is more a feature of the Lorenz system than any indication of the power and accuracy of the Arduino to solve differential equations well. For my purposes, it doesn't matter; as long as the lights keep flashing and moving, I'm happy.

We're getting close to the final system, very close.  I've got the bug in how I calculate which lights to turn on that I would like to clean up but all that remains now is final assembly.  I've got the front face plate to etch and the drilling on the LED mounting plate than all that remains is putting it back into the shadow box.

So very close...

No comments:

Post a Comment