Sunday, July 10, 2016

Backyard Landscaping - Moving the Fill Dirt

Starting to move the pile of dirt in the drive to hole in the backyard.  Here's how the pile looked as left by the dump trucks. The dirt on the right is fill dirt and the that on the left is nutrient-rich topsoil.


I did a little work on Thursday but the majority of the action was yesterday with the help of my wonderful friend SamHam.


Here's how those piles looked after few hours of labor:


And the backyard:


I count roughly fifty wheelbarrow trips to get to this point but its a little tricky to tell because, as I was using the wheelbarrow, SamHam was carrying five gallon buckets of dirt and filling in some of the gaps I was leaving.  You know, just carrying big buckets of dirt like he did this everyday.

We made a good dent in the pile and I'm sure we'll have more to move. The next step will be smoothing out those piles and compacting them so I can get a good idea how much more of the lighter-colored fill dirt needs to be moved before we start moving in the darker-colored topsoil and plant the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment