Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Scooter-ific!

It has been five days since the maiden trip-around-the-block was made on my new scooter and since then I've put 135 km (83 miles) on it. In short, it has been a pretty sweet ride. I've run errands, gone to work, gone to physical therapy all without incident. I feel very confident that adjusting to scooter-based transportation will not be a very big deal at all.

I'm loving the fuel economy (I'm guessing I'll get over 50 mpg on this first tank), handling is similar to bicycle (not near as agile, though) and the learning curve isn't near as steep as I had thought. Smoothly accelerating through turns and maintaining a constant speed are skills I am still developing, hopefully quickly. And before I forget, it is fun to ride! Its similar to riding a bicycle in that I feel I am more aware of my surroundings and a part of what I am riding through and not as isolated as I feel in a car. Its a little hard to explain in words but if you spend much time on a bicycle, you'll know what I mean. (If you haven't been spending much time on a bicycle, what are you waiting for; get on it!) Oh, and the insurance I have is full coverage with a $100 deductible for $170/year. This is a fraction of what it costs to insure my car with a $500 deductible. The economy of a scooter is quite clear; in insurance savings alone it will pay for itself in short order.

The only real down side right now is that it is easy to get hot when its 100'F outside and I'm all geared up. The jacket I have is mesh and the visor on the helmet pops up easily so if I'm moving at any speed over 5 mph I can stay pretty cool. When traffic stops at a light, though, it doesn't take long before I eager to be moving again. For now, the work-around I'm going to use is having jeans and I shirt I wear whenever I ride and a set of clothes I can change into at work. Not ideal, but really no different than what I do when I bicycle.

All in all, I'm very pleased with how things have worked out. Obviously I can't make any definitive comments but based on my experience so far, I would recommend a scooter for all able-bodied souls who are looking for an economical and fun way to get yourself around. And really, this is why Katie and I decided a scooter would work well for me; 90% of the time I spend driving I am just moving me. You can't beat the low purchase, fuel, and insurance costs of a scooter for moving one person.

Without any further delay, here are some of the promised pictures. Enjoy!





Me and my good friend Mia assess the caged beast.




Did I mention that since that battery wasn't charged we had to jump-start the bike on the first ride? My super-helpful friend Steven is there on the left. Less helpful (when it comes to all things mechanical) but always good to have around Matt is on the right.




Very first ride. Ever.



2 comments:

  1. Sweet Ride!

    When are you gonna install the laser beams and depth charges?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those sweat pants?

    ReplyDelete