Thursday, June 07, 2007

Bicycling to Work

For the first time since my back injury, I bicycled into work today. Well, that's not quite true. This past Sunday I did a trial run in the evening to get a feel for how long it would take. That trip was 97 minutes round-trip with a few minutes break in the middle at work. The route I took was non-ideal (despite some of it being officially a bike path) and so today I tried a different, more residential route. You can see the two routes here. My time bicycling to work today: 39 minutes. I don't think I'll be able to bicycle everyday but the success from today makes me think this should be a pretty vialbe form of exercise.

The main difficulty will be the fact that Cessna's eastside gym (the Cessna Activity Center) doesn't open until 8am and there really isn't a good way to get between it and the office. Result: I'm giving myself "washcloth showers" in the handicap stall before work. When I bicycled out to the west-side facility, the gyn was right across the street and was open by 6:30am when I arrived. Those were the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment