Thursday, June 21, 2007

Fillings

I knew this was going to be a different visit to the dental office when the good doctor told his assist, “Can you go get the diagonal bit for me?” Actually I knew since my check-up a month ago that this day would come: my first filing. Despite my diligent efforts to keep my teeth clean (brushing several times a day, flossing nearly daily), a fancy gadget during my last visit identified two teeth in need of filing. It ruined my day.

So there I was, getting my first fillings. Before we got into it, I asked the dentist what I could do to prevent cavities. The answers were, unfortunately, not very helpful. He explained the difficulties in cleaning the molar surfaces (where these cavities were) and said there wasn’t a lot more that could be done more than diligent brushing. Unlike some other dentists I’ve had in the past, he wasn’t super excited about the electronic toothbrushes (Sonicare or Oral B) but said they do help. Sigh.

The procedure got off to a great start. The fancy gadget used to test my teeth for cavities tested negative on one tooth this time which meant fewer fillings (and a chance to redeem myself). Though I have never had a painful dental experience, I think I inherited our cultures fear of dental work that morning and was apprehensive. I had nothing to fear. A topical anesthetic masked any pain associated with the injection that numbed up half my mouth. When my mouth was sufficiently immune to any prodding and poking, the dreaded drill came out. For the next fifteen or so minutes (longer than it took for the anesthesia to do its magic) I had four hands in my mouth, each with a tool. The dentist and assist hardly communicated at all; it seemed a very routine procedure (no surprises = a good thing).

In about 45 minutes or so, it was all done. The assistant said the filing sets up immediately so I could eat right away. Well, almost right away; until the anesthesia wore off, there was no way I was going to be able to chew straight, much less taste my food. I ended up having to wait nearly three more hours before I felt comfortable eating without risk of biting my lips, cheek, or tongue. No residual pain, no difficulty chewing. Now all I have to do is stay on top of the brushing and hope we won’t have to do that again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment