Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day before school

Since today is my last day of my summer break before classes start again and I've finally got all the computer stuff here at working the way it should be, I'm finally going to put some of the pictures we took in Hawai'i up. I'll just be putting a few here but you can see a good deal more on my Flickr stream. (One of these days I'm going to get much better at keeping it up to date.)

We spent a good deal of time snorkeling, a new adventure for both of us. Snorkeling is super easy and in waters like we experienced with lots of wildlife, it was fun, fun, fun.



During one of our boat tours we saw both a monk seal and a sea turtle. It was humbling and awe-inspiring to see them both move through the water so easily and unencumbered.



There is a great deal of elevation change on the island that afforded some fantastic views


And of course, sunsets over the ocean are always great.


Like I said, there's more to see on my Flickr stream. Vicariously enjoy as the school year starts up again.



2 comments:

  1. Are the colors in your flicker photos real? I mean did you do anything to enhance them? The colors and photos are pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short answer: some but not much. Things really do look that good.

    Long answer:
    That's a tough question to answer, particularly for the underwater shots. Due to the strong blue/green cast of the water itself, I have to manually adjust what's called the white-point in each picture so that, well, the pictures don't look all blue/green. In that way, the photographs are better than what I experienced myself; colors show up that I did not observe while snorkeling.

    For the non-underwater pictures probably most of them have colors that are slightly brighter or more saturated than as captured by the camera but they more closely match how I was impressed when I took the photograph. This is a good example of how every photograph that anybody ever takes is an interpretation or expression of what "actually" occurred. In this way all of my pictures are art (in some sense of the word) because I aim to communicate an expression of what I saw and experienced, not some form of "objective" reality.

    I don't get into heavy Photoshop work of removing objects or other more extreme forms of retouching. Maybe removing a spot on the lens but that's about it. This is more a function of my skill and patience in Photoshop than some more high-minded philosophy of what photography should and should not be.

    ReplyDelete