Friday, March 26, 2010

OK Go III

I found out about OK Go's third video from a podcast I listen to which I would safely describe as not being on the pulse of pop culture (much like myself); the odds are good you've already seen this somewhere else. For the rest of you like me, enjoy this greatness:




For a lab in college I was on a team that had to make a Rube Goldberg machine, one with only a dozen or so mechanisms. The demonstration of these contraptions is a school event and I had been watching them for two years before I got a crack at my own as a junior. I was highly committed to making sure that ours worked perfectly and insisted that it run without error ten times in a row the night before the demonstration. It did by midnight and we were confident it would work fine the next day.

It didn't. Two new failures popped up that we had never seen before and we joined the almost universal ranks of those who weren't able to demonstrate a working machine in that classes history.

I bring this up because, even though it took 85 filmed takes to get it right (according to their website), a Rube Goldberg this size that works at all is a miracle.

2 comments:

  1. Do you really think this was one unpasted real-time successful take? Was all of it really connected, or did they start different sections off-camera to keep it flowing? If it was absolutely legit, it was beyond words. Even if parts cheated, it's still beyond words. It's just so perfect, including timing the song phrases to jive with each section of the maze. Even the water glasses were right on the beat. Hmm...if it seems to good to be true... I think I'll put aside my jaundiced eye and watch again. This will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the link to the band's informational site on the video:

    http://www.okgo.net/this-too-shall-pass-rube-goldberg-machine/

    From what I've read, it took 6 months to get this all put together with a small army of people. 85 takes over the course of two days to get it all to work just once. I'm not always the most discerning person but I believe it.

    ReplyDelete