Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day

My first lecture has come and gone as a instructor at Wichita State University. It went well. Despite the late hour of the class (5:35pm to 6:50pm) the students seemed awake and participating. We got through the introductory material and started into the content; I was even able to put up the first homework assignment (though it won't officially be due for over a week). I made one blunder in assigning an in-class problem which turned out to be much more difficult than I realized when I opened my mouth. I caught it after a minute or so and was able to call it off before I did too much educational damage. At least that's what I'm telling myself right now. Moral of the story: stick to the notes I've prepared for myself, particularly when it comes to examples and practice problems.

Oh, and I accidentally left my travel mug of water in the lecture hall overnight. It was still there when I came by early the next morning.

I still haven't received the official contract for teaching this class, though. Its the only thing holding me back from being 100% officially hired.

No comments:

Post a Comment