Thursday, December 13, 2012

Workout Schedules

A Plant Fitness gym opened up near our house recently and, tempted by the five minute walk from our house and the $10/month membership fee, my wife and I decided to join.  So far, we have both made regular use of the facility and are easily getting our money's worth.

The last time I was in there was a flyer at the main desk showing the average number of members in the gym for every hour of every day (the gym is open 24/7) for what I assume is the entire length of time this particular facility was open (about a month).  This big table of numbers had the most popular times shaded with the tacit advice to all members that working out during less busy times would be a good idea.

Being the data nerd that I am, I was pretty excited to see the facility publish this. Admittedly, with only a few weeks in operation, each entry in the table was probably only averaged over four or five data points but its better than nothing.  To help make the data more easily interpreted, I made a graph.


The data clearly shows the after-work time slots are the most popular with the before-work time periods also being commonly used.  Weekends tend to not be busy and of course, the dead of night is a good time to have the gym to yourself.

I'm hoping they update the data and republish in a few months.  I'd be interested to see if a larger data set produces any significant change in the data and/or trends.

1 comment:

  1. Your remark about walking to the gym reminds me of a great line from a TED talk:

    "Let's observe a moment of silence
    for all the people stuck in traffic
    on their way to the gym
    to ride a stationary bicycle."

    ReplyDelete