Thursday, December 06, 2012

I'm Famous (Again)

The commentator in one of the podcasts I listen to, John Siracusa of Hypercritical, has a regular section at the beginning of each show where he further addresses issues brought up in previous shows.  This follow-up is usually prompted by listeners writing in and offering further insight, often based on previous experience.

During last week's episode, John was speaking about a rumored deal between Apple and the semiconductor manufacturer TSMC and expressed a little bit of confusion about why the particular deal would be arranged in a particular way.  Based on my time at Micron, the deal made perfect sense to me and so I took ten minutes to email in my thoughts.

As I'm listening to this week's episode, I hear John begin the follow-up section and my brain snaps to attention: if my comments are going to get on the air, it will probably be on this show.  I listen carefully and the follow-up begins to wander toward the Apple/TSMC deal.  John begins to provide context for the story, reminding the audience what was a little confusing about this rumor.  My breathing is quickening and I can feel the nervous energy beginning to course through my body.  This is the same anxiety I've felt when presenting my work in front of other like when playing a musical solo or presenting my master's thesis.  My fingers seem unable to stay completely under my control, I have an incessant urge to wiggle my toes.  Externally these are the only signs but my mind is singular in attention and body seems to know this and wants to run wild.

By the cadence and tone of John's voice it is clear that the moment of truth is quickly approaching. In just a few words he will reveal to the world the comments sent in by a listener and judge them as worthy or not.  The set-up seems so focused, so inevitable, like his words are leading the audience down the path, to the stage where my contribution will be shown.  But will they be mine?  Perhaps another wrote in with the same experience but expressed it in more concise and insightful way?  I'm all but certain that the past sixty seconds of John's voice are for me and I simultaneously fear I have deluded myself, that I have heard this all with rose-colored ears and reality will disappoint.

Here is what actually transpired.  (Starting around 6:45).

Unlike my last claim to fame, this one actually involves me being named.

1 comment: