Monday, January 28, 2013

Teaching is Hard

Feedback from my students over the course I taught last semester.
  • "I can't understand his English. the voice. the way to talk. not only me but also many foreign students agree with this."[sic]
  • "He should understand his student, not just teach this course."[sic]
  • "I like this course. However, I don't like the instructor" [sic]
  • "He is a really good researcher, not a helpful teacher."
  • "Should improve himself."
  • "Hardy is a new teacher. He doesn't know how to teach professionally."
  • "Many times he cannot answer to student problems. He always avoid those by saying 'Uhm, I haven't think about it' and I never get the 'right' answer from him."[sic]
  • "The tests and quiz are way too hard. For some reason, he thinks that those must be very tricky."
  • "Rate 2/10" [sic]
  • "Office hours are there to help students answer or solve problems not to give vague answers or make them feel dumb for coming."[sic]
  • "Please instructor needs to improve seriously on teaching and communication skills. Answer the students question, of course the student makes an attempt to answer but if WRONG PLS ANSWER THE QUESTION."[sic]
  • "I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND HIM A PROFESSOR."[sic]
  • "I like nothing. This class was a waste of time."
  • "Teacher is unhelpful and the material is hard."
  • "This is an easy class. The instructor made it difficult by having too much workload."[sic]
  • "He was rude and inconsiderate. Graded harshly. How he worked the total grades was generally poor." [sic]
  • "The grading, oh my God."
  • "Listen to Minorities in the class, we pay tuition fee too." [sic]
  • "I felt like you don't care about the students who struggle in the class, Never even listen them."[sic]
  • "I wish they would be Dr. Teshome back, Your worse Instructor ever come across in my 4 yrs in college." [sic]
  • "This Course seems to be interesting about I guess I would have gain more of it if the instructor knew more about the subject." [sic]

The composite scoring of the multiple-choice part of the survey showed very low scores as well.  The students who took this survey scored me in the bottom 2% of 35771 courses ever taught at Wichita State (since this survey started being given, at least).

The feedback from previous classes I taught tended to be of the opposite nature so its a bit tricky to figure out how to interpret these results.

Well, you can't win them all but least there was this:
"Basically you're a super harsh teacher but I learned a lot in class. I know you will be a lot of backlash because this class had a bunch of assholes in it who got by in their other classes by having a super easy teacher or copying shit and that's practically impossible to do in your class. I think you were a good teacher."

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a slap!! Do you suppose the backlash group put in a united effort, or were these just personal evals?
    I'm not sure I can head back to class next week after that. (sic) Dad

    ReplyDelete