Thursday, February 07, 2013

Flat Band-Aid

I was able to successfully use an emergency bicycle tire inflator on the way home from school today.


What you see above is a bicycle multi-tool with an integrated compressed-air cylinder (the brass-colored, shiny part in the middle).  In case of an emergency flat that needs re-inflating, put the red nozzle at the top over the stem of the tube and press down.  The compressed air will inflate the tire quickly and you'll be off and cycling again.

At least that's how it is supposed to work.  The first time I had a flat after purchasing the miracle worker, I couldn't figure out how to operate it. Aften ten minutes of puzzling, I gave up and walked the last two miles home.  Once home I spent another fifteen minutes messing with it and still had no success.  The break-through came when I realized I didn't know how to replace the compressed-air cylinder; figuring that out revealed that the cylinder had been installed upside down (I assume to prevent accidental discharge during shipping). I flipped it over and a test yielded a short blast of cold air.

So today when my front tire started deflating an hour from home, I knew what to do.  I pulled this little guy out and in less than a minute the tire had inflated enough to get me the rest of the way home.  Not only did it save me a bit of walking time but a successful field test is always reassuring.  

The big question now: do I need to replace the cylinder or is it good for another use? There is really no way to tell so I'll probably just grab another cylinder and keep it in my bag for now.  







No comments:

Post a Comment