Saturday, March 23, 2013

Board Game Storage: Dominion - Small Case

Dominion is similar to Carcassonne in that it seems to be made for expansions.  Both games come with a base set of cards/tiles with a defined set of play options with additional expansions adding new options, modifying existing rules, and adding new mechanisms. In Carcassonne these expansions are mostly tiles with a few new pieces and Dominion is highly similar: cards with a few new pieces.  And when I say "cards" I mean "lots of cards".  The base game of Dominion is 500 cards, standard expansions are 300 cards, mini expansions are 150 cards, and large expansions are another 500; the complete game has almost 3000 cards.

I don't have all the expansions so I was able to use my old Catan box to store what I do have (base set, Intrigue, Alchemy, and Dark Ages):

I've chosen to sleeve all of my cards so that as I add expansions over time the older cards will not look significantly more worn than the newer cards.  (I recently had a chance to play with a Dominion set that had been slowly grown over time and had not been sleeved.  The old cards looked very, very old which, added some charm to them.  These were the old-guard cards that had been there from the beginning. It also meant it that these cards were not anonymous and very easy to identify in the deck.)  
Each set of ten kingdom cards is placed in a larger sleeve to keep them together and these packs are then stacked into the box.  I've also made packs for the Curse cards and a starting deck for each player, just to help minimize the set-up time for the game.  

The guides/dividers are made from corrugated plastic that I had left over from a photography project. (This is the kind of plastic that is used for yard signs commonly seen during election season.)  The dividers are taped into the box as I was more interested in getting something put together that would work than doing something that looked really nice.  The randomizer cards are stored over on the lower right in their own little area and the extra sleeves I have left over are in the upper right.  Instructions are stored in the lid.

As you can see, the box is pretty full and I there are a number of other expansions that will need a home.  I've already decided if/when I get another expansion I'll be moving over to a larger box, the same one I'm using for Catan right now.  I've been inspired by an online discussion of Dominion players to go this route which will slightly modify what I've done so far.  Rather than using larger sleeves, I'm going to be printing out some cardstock dividers for each deck of kingdom cards.  The lane dividers in the new box will be wood and I'm thinking of putting felt on the interior base of the box to keep the cards from sliding around as much.  Oh, and I plan to store the cards vertically rather than horizontally.

I'll keep you updated as the new Dominion storage box evolves.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, you're one of those individual sleeve types :)

    ReplyDelete