Thursday, March 14, 2013

Duck Truck

Wichita has a Duck Truck.  The name is mine and a misnomer but it came to mind when I first encountered said truck.  The Duck Truck is a pickup truck with speakers in the bed that drives through downtown Wichita playing what I assume to be aggressive sounding bird calls to scare away other birds from the buildings.

My first exposure to it was seven years ago on a Sunday night.  I was on my way home driving through a vacant downtown when I pulled up beside the Duck Truck. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears but before I could get a picture, it drove off.  We were living close to downtown at the time and often heard these hugely amplified calls in the distance as the Duck Truck did its thing.

Today, all these years later, I saw the truck again, parked downtown. I was on my way to drop of my motorcycle for repair and by the time I was able to get back there to photograph it, the truck was gone.

The sighting has rekindled this desire: I desperately want to photograph and/or make a video of the Duck Truck in action.  Spring is returning to Wichita (73'F today!) and with the nice weather, I'm sure the Duck Truck will be out again.  I see some evenings in my future where I prowl downtown like a superhero looking for villans, windows down and ears perked to hear the mechanical bird calls from this mysterious truck.  My day will come, I'm sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment