Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Board Game Storage: Domion - New Dividers

As I've recently written, my Dominion case is too small to hold all the cards in the games and I'm preparing for the day when I'll need to move to a larger box.  One of the changes I'm making is to use cardstock dividers rather than oversized plastic sleeves to keep the sets of cards sorted.  I'm doing this because:
  1. Getting all ten kingdom cards back into an over-sized sleeve can be a bit of a pain.  I've been able to get up to twelve cards into those big sleeves but past the first few cards in it takes some effort.  
  2. With no dividers it takes some flipping and hunting to find a specific pack of cards to pull out.  The packs are all alphabetized but I can only see the names of the pack I'm looking at and some flipping around is required.
  3. The dividers I've chosen to use have common rule clarifications for the cards printed on the divider which I hope will save time if questions come up during play.
To get the most storage space out of the new box, I'm choosing to store my cards vertically and have found some excellent vertical dividers to use.  Here's an example:


I decided to print the dividers out in black-and-white on 110lb. card stock at Kinkos FedEx Office as the cost is $8 vs $55 for the color.  Most of the cards are text anyway and my original plan was to use markers and highlights to color the banners a the top of the cards myself.  After I discussed this with a friend, I'm following his suggestion of printing out just the banners on mailing labels and placing them over the black-and-white banners on the cards.  I've purchased some full-sheet mailing labels,  made a few custom pages of the banners (see below) and printed them off.


And then I spent five years cutting. 

Finally, just had to stick banners on the cards and it was done (another 3 years of effort).


If you look closely you can see the labels weren't quite the same size as the area on the card.  I suspected something like this might happen as different printers have different invisible margins for the same size physical page. I probably could have figured out a way around this but this works well enough.  As always, I consider my first attempt at anything my prototype and these dividers fit the bill.


No comments:

Post a Comment