Tuesday, February 07, 2006

2:88?

Very much by accident, tonight I discovered my microwave considers a 2:88 a valid cook time. I meant to punch in 2:00 but managed to miss the zero and hit eight twice instead. Without even thinking I hit the "Start" button and watched in amazement as a totally nonsensical time counted down. The oven behaved just as you might expect: it counted down eighty-eight seconds before decrementing the minutes from two to one; 2:88 lead to 2:00 lead to 1:59. Growing up, we would routinely heated water for ninety seconds (instead of 1:30) but I honestly never though of trying something like this.

How about you? What does your microwave do if you try 2:88?

4 comments:

  1. i'm trying it tonight... i'll let you know!

    glad you're up and blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've gotta get out more, buddy. I don't know whether to classify the timer on your microwave as an amazing find or a deep thought, but either way I think things have deteriorated. Is this what wedding preparation does to a guy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry it took so long to get back to this... but yes, my micro works the same way yours does... weird!

    ReplyDelete