Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Almost There

Well, I've spent the past week talking, emailing, and discussing my scooter with the retailer I purchased it from and I've decided to keep it. This is partially motivated by the difficulty in returning the item, partially by the fact that the same shop here in town will be able to provide service for it and has parts in stock, and partially because I believe that the scooter I was delivered will perform just as well as the one I ordered. This is actually another way of saying that I bought a chinese scooter from a primarily online dealer and if I wanted top-notch service and a top-notch product I would have been shopping elsewhere (and paying four times as much.) When all is said and done, you get what you paid for and I expected difficulties like this along the way. All that matters now is how this specific scooter performs.

This we shall soon be finding out, too. An eager friend of mine with vast amount of knuckle-scrapping automotive knowledge is coming over tomorrow evening and the two of us are going to be uncrating and assembling the scooter. The assembly isn't very involved: attaching side-view mirrors, attaching front windshield, putting acid in the battery and charging it, and attaching the rear luggage trunk. I'm pretty confident that I could do this all on my own but I'll appreciate the help of an expert. (Plus he is VERY eager to see how all of this goes; he asked me if he could come over, not the other way around.)

Last but not least, the title for the scooter arrived in the mail today so I'm going to be picking up plates tomorrow as well. This means that the plan is to have a fully functioning and street-legal scooter by tomorrow evening. As you might guess, I am VERY excited by this prospect and am looking forward to my first scooter-ride to work as early as Friday.

With fingers crossed....

No comments:

Post a Comment