Thursday, September 17, 2009

Phone Number Mix-Up

I just got a call from a person unknown to me who has a phone number very close to mine. He sounded like an older gentleman and was having a problem with people calling him on his cell phone when they were trying to reach me. He was hoping that I could help him do something about this.

I was a bit perplexed. I know my phone number pretty well and may occasionally give out an incorrect variation of it but I assume I get it write most of the time. Clearly, I don't give out the wrong number with the intent of preventing communication between them and me. Similarly, I have not been not instigating some kind of prank on him by passing around a bogus phone number. From what he said, there have been quite a number of people calling him instead of me, ranging from the unemployment office to the insurance company to my friends.

I told him I didn't see what I could really do to help the situation; if I've handed out a bad phone number there's not much I can do at this point to keep people from using it. It seems more likely to me that people were mis-dialing my number than have it written down incorrectly but he didn't seem convinced of this; hence his call. He suggested that whenever I meet up with my friends or go to a place of business that has my number I double-check and make sure that their records are correct. This seemed like a reasonable suggestion but unless I make a campaign out of it and call all the appropriate people myself, it will probably take a while. The hardest part will be remembering to make a point of asking.

Oddly, there is another older couple in my life that has endured a similar mix-up. The couple the lives two doors down from us has a similar looking house (shape, color, yard) and when we first moved in, they got a lot of people knocking on their door looking for us. They seemed more amused by it than anything; we still have a good, neighborly relationship with them

3 comments:

  1. How did he get your number? Did he just guess at it or did someone tell him the number they thought they were calling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume the later. I'm guessing after being called often enough he got tired of just saying "wrong number" and started to ask a few questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it seems like if they gave him your number as the number they were calling (and it wasn't his number), that he would realize that it was just misdialed and that all these people didn't mistakenly have his number as yours. (That confuses even me!)

    Maybe you just need to tell your friends to be more careful in their dialing.

    ReplyDelete