Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My Very First Stitches (Probably)

This morning I cut my finger on one of our new kitchen knives. I cut it while cleaning the knife and though it didn't hurt too bad, the cut was pretty deep and the bleeding was a bit heavier than normal. After a bit of help from my wife, we had it bandaged up appropriately and I was just marginally late for work. I had a corporate education class on conflict management the whole morning and as there was still some bleeding by the end of the class, I decided to head on in the emergency room to see what they thought.

The verdict was stitches, my very first. (Unless of course I had some when my wisdom teeth were removed, I don't remember having any then and I sure didn't get to see them. That was, though, the first and only time I've had full anesthesia in my entire life. Full anesthesia, along with an MRI, are two cool medical treatments I recommend everybody experience at some point in their life; they're fun!) Now my grade-school honor has been preserved and I can brag about the four stitches I have on my finger.

That I got cleaning a kitchen knife.

(Doesn't sound nearly as impressive as I thought it might. Sigh. Now all my co-workers are going to make fun of me at recess.)


P.S.
I also got a tetanus shot along with something like an MMR booster mixed in. I now actually know the date of my last tetanus shot! This is the one question on medical history forms I can never seem to remember. May 10, 2006 will stick in my mind from this day forth!

Also, did you know that "tetanus" had an "a"? I didn't. It seems the word should be pronounced with three syllables, not two. "Tet-a-nus", not "tet-nus". Boy, you learn something everyday.


UPDATE: My lovely wife suggested I put a picture of the injured finger up. So I did. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. yuck!
    hey, how was the tetanus shot (no, i didn't know it had an a in it)? i am going to need to get one this summer. mine is going to have a pertussis (sp?) booster in it, for which i am very thankful. i have had pertussis before and will do anything to avoid having it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tetanus shot was quite painless, much less than the anesthesia for the stiches or donating blood. I was very surprised how quick and painless it was. My shoulder is a little sore today but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, that is sick. But a really cool addition to make the post MUCH more interactive. I feel like I'm getting the whole experience! (minus the pain)

    ReplyDelete