Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Midwest Ocean

Yesterday afternoon we had the most torrential rain I have ever seen. It was raining so hard that leeks in the roof I had never noticed during previous rains were gushing water, enough for a shower. Virtually all the pavement was flooded over with an inch or two of water, most of it rapidly flowing towards the nearest storm drain. The day was slow so I walked out to the experimental hanger where they had the barn-doors open and watched the storm roll through.

In front of me was the large stretch of pavement that serves as our taxi-way to the runway, larger than most parking lots I've seen. And, as you might imagine, it was mostly empty; no planes coming or going in weather like this. The pavement was completely covered in water flowing and rushing to the drains. The surface of the water was covered in near-infinite pock marks as icy rain drops continued to fall from the sky. The wind was blowing creating waves of rain and waves on the surface of the growing body of water in front of me.

For a few moments I felt like I was at the ocean.

Wind in my face, water mist (not really salty) blowing through the air, large expanse of empty... This is the closest I figure I'll ever get here in Wichita to experiencing the ocean.

2 comments:

  1. you know... Oregon and Washington have REAL oceans.

    and they just happen to be close to where i live... coincidence? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEEKS in the roof! Trevor, this getting married thing is doing funny things to you! Are you going to make soup?

    ReplyDelete