Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Two Wheels It Is!

I am delighted to let you all know that this last week my lovely wife gave a thumbs-up on the purchase of a scooter! Yipee!

Needless to say, I was online placing the order within a few hours and am now in the state of eager anticipation of the said scooter to arrive. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!

When I'm not thinking about the scooter itself, I'm thinking about the, uhmmmm, accessories that I'll need for using it. This ranges from protective clothing to wear while riding to upgrade parts (like brighter headlights for more visibility). So far my purchases have consisted of a helmet and a gas can.

The helmet I got is quite a thing to behold. It was on clearance and I think I can understand why: its purple with gold highlights/trim. The purple color I actually like; it is has a matte finish and a deep shade of purple. The gold highlights, though, kind of move the helmet over the top into something that looks like it should be from a comic book or a cartoon. Oh well, it was 45% off and is esteemed as a quality helmet.

Getting a gas can that I liked ended up being quite and ordeal. Every store I went to sold only one brand of can and, without sounding too picky, I'll just say I didn't care for the spout design. The marketing and sales team for this company is incredible though. Four of the five stores I looked at carried that brand exclusively. It was amazing. The whole city of Wichita and it seemed that there was only one (stupid) brand of gas can available. The fifth store I went to had this brand but also carried a Briggs and Stratton can as well with a MUCH better spout design.

I've placed an order for a jacket and pants and am still on the prowl for gloves and boots. (Just stopped in at Red Wing on the way home from work to see what they had.)

I realize that many people might think I am going a bit overboard when it comes to getting all this gear for a measly scooter but as I have been dealing with this on-going back injury and its financial burden I have realized just how damaging any kind of accident on a scooter could be. The financial cost could be huge but the loss of functionality of some parts of my body would be an even greater difficulty. This protective gear is, in my mind, a small price to pay to provide greater protection as I scoot around town. Thankfully, my wife is in agreement on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment